High-Rise Condo Flooring
Living in a high rise condominium unit is one of the luxuries people dream of achieving in the future. However, one should realize that certain rules and policies are exclusively implemented when it comes to high rise condo units. And one of the issues that this particular matter tackles is the flooring types that can be installed in the property. Living above ground level has its own unique benefits yet also puts forth several unique responsibilities and standards as well.
Installing a hardwood floor in a high rise condo unit can give your place a touch of warmth and luxury both in function and look. However, wood flooring can also amplify the amount of sound or noise that is filtered from your unit to your downstairs neighbors.
Wood-made flooring can amplify the noise of everyday living, from running children, barking pets and even watching TV or listening to stereos. Before you install hardwood floors on your unit, research thoroughly with regards to the state laws and speak with your neighbors prior starting to lay down the wood floors and replacing the previous tile floors.
Your unit’s HOA, also known as Homeowner’s Association, may have strict policies concerning the floors that can be installed in a condo unit above ground level. A few states and communities restrict above ground units from being installed with any type of hard floor component whatsoever, such as stone, tile and wood. Others allow tile and wood component in only respectively chosen areas of the unit like kitchens and bathrooms.
Still some impose standards on their particular surface capacity, for example, 25% on wood flooring while the remaining 75% composed of carpet material. If you really want to use hardwood material for your flooring plan, you may get an approval from the HOA Board if you promise to keep a large portion of the wood flooring with rugs. If you violate these HOA board rules and install wood floors without permission, you’ll be subjected to fines until you agree on removing the floor.
Condo units and communities that do allow hardwood flooring on top of the ground floor will often have strict policies in terms of installation. Policies will basically require homeowners to lay wood flooring with the use of a floating technique wherein strips of wood-covered laminate are adhered together in interlocking lateral grooves, but the entire floor is not adhered onto the sub floor.
The wood remains in position as a result of its mass and spacer blocks that are placed within the flooring perimeter. Gluing, stapling or nailing the hardwood to the second floor layer will enhance vibrations and sound-filtering from your unit to the unit below you. Research thoroughly on other types of flooring material that can be used for your condo unit before settling on a particular one.